What is Multifactor Authentication?
Mulitfactor Authentication is a two step process that will create a more secure way of connecting to your Loyola Microsoft account and Loyola's new VPN, Global Protect.
The system can be configured to send you a code via a text or an email or, to simplify the two step authentication process, we are recommending you use the Microsoft Authenticator App. This will eliminate the need to receive a code every time you connect. The Microsoft Authenticator app can be installed on your phone and will help you quickly authenticate to your Microsoft account or Loyola's VPN.
Setting up your Multifactor Authentication
Note: These instructions pertain to your Loyola Microsoft Account and not a personal Microsoft account that you may have. Your username will always be your Loyola email address for your work / school account.
To begin the setup of the MFA , login to your Microsoft account. To access your Microsoft account, go to https://office.com Sign in with your Loyola email address. By default the password is the first two letters of your first name, the last four digits of your social and an uppercase LU. aaXXXXLU If you have already setup your account and have changed your password, but forgot it, you can click on "forgot my password" option to change it on the Microsoft site. As part of the account setup, you will be asked for a phone number or an email where you will receive a code to continue with the initial setup.
1. Once you have successfully logged into your Microsoft account, click on your profile icon and select "view account".
2. Once you are into your account, go to "Security" to setup the two step authentication.
3. If you entered your phone number or your email address you will see it listed. You may use that method for the two step authentication. If you would like to change the authentication method, click on "+ Add Method".
4. You will be able to choose phone, an email or you can select Authenticator App (Recommended). Use the following instructions when selecting Authenticator App.
**Note: If you do not see the Authenticator App in the list, try logging out of your Microsoft account and then log back in.
5. You will see the Window below. Continue using the Microsoft site to guide you through setting up Microsoft Authenticator on your phone.
6. You will be asked to setup your account on your phone.
8. You may use your phone to scan a code on your computer that will connect the app to your account. If you cannot scan, click "Can't scan image".
9. If you could not scan, you will be given a code and a url to enter into your phone.
A notification will be sent to your phone to test your account. Approve the notification in the Microsoft Authenticator App. and click next.
YOu will see the message below that the notification was approved. Click next.
You have successfully tied Microsoft Authenticator to your Loyola Microsoft account.
You should change your default authentication method , by going back to the security settings in your Microsoft account.
For further information please visit Microsoft at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/user-help/security-info-setup-auth-app
If you need any assistance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.